The Barn or the building where the Barn presently resides at 9527 Harford Road was first built in the mid 1850’s. The original name of the building was “Walter’s Carney Hotel”. It was used as a rest stop for farmers on their way to the Broadway Market in East Baltimore. In the early 1900’s it was renamed as Groller’s grocery store. It was also known as the “8 mile house” as it was 8 miles from the market. In the 1930’s and 1940’s the building was a dance hall and saloon known as Brownies. Brownies became the Bottle and Cap and remained until it was purchased in 1979 and renamed “The Barn”. The Barn opened it’s doors March 3, 1980, the Crab house June 15, 1982. It quickly became a Baltimore institution known by almost everyone in Baltimore born in the 1950’s, 1960’s and 1970’s. Early in 2013 it was completely remodeled from top to bottom.